The Best Ways to Travel Around Downtown San Diego
Are you traveling or touring downtown San Diego and wondering about the best forms of transportation? Well… you’re in luck! We are experts in gaslamp district travel, and below you’ll find some of our exclusive transportation knowledge.
1. Pedi-Cab – These eco-friendly bikers with bonus carriage attachment are hard to miss in the Gaslamp district. They tend to flock to downtown San Diego around sunset and continue until the wee hours of the morning. Some pedicab’s even are adorned with bright lights, and/or impressive sound systems. These can be perfect for the romantic date nights, but be sure it’s a relatively warm night, as most of these cabs are “open air”
2. Uber or Lyft – these “ridesharing” apps are both very active in the downtown San Diego area, and it’s not often that you will request a car via the respective phone app, and you’re driver will be minutes away. This convenient and more affordable replacement for the standard taxi is an enjoyable way to quickly dart across the gaslamp, or further.
3. Car2Go – The light blue and white electric SmartCar’s are the standard for Car2go San Diego’s fleet. Although they do require a pre-approved process before mailing you a Car2go keycard, this zippy little ride has the benefit of free parking at all metered spots in downtown San Diego.
4. Taxi – When in a quick rush for a pickup, the classic taxi is always nearby when in downtown. They are quickly losing ground to ridesharing like Uber and Lyft, mostly due to pricing and quality of ride experience. If you’re in a pinch though, just wave them down and give ’em a whistle!
5. Tour Bus/Trolley – The Old Town Trolley Tours swing right by Petco Park, home of the San Diego Padres. This classic open-air trolley has a wonderful staff of guides to enlighten the historical value and charm of San Diego city.
6. GoCars – GoCars are a relatively unique concept made for touring the main streets and side streets of cities like San Diego.
7. Rent bicycles – Bikes are a healthy and environmentally-friendly alternative to other motorized forms of transportation. Enjoying downtown by bike is preferable during daytime, as the evening traffic can be hectic, and there are few bike lanes within the gaslamp. Be on the lookout for the new DecoBike rental stands, which allow for anyone to immediately rent a bike. These DecoBikes seem to have rent/return displays all over the city now, so popularity is surely growing fast.
We hope you enjoyed our coverage of the best ways to get around in downtown San Diego. If you’re looking for real estate in downtown SD, contact us today!